Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Yes, Virginia,.......

It finally happened, but I must admit it took longer than I expected. The nine year old got into the car after school today, and asked if there was a Santa Clause because so and so said his mom told him she was putting the presents under the tree.

First of all, how horrible is it to just sit your child down and say something like that. Don't people know it isn't about Santa? It's about childlike faith and innocence. I mean, you take that away and what exactly is left?

Second, if you do decide to put it that way, next, tell your child to shut his trap about the whole thing. Some of us do not want to follow this path. It is quite evil if you ask me.

The poor boy was quite adamant about getting to the truth. He tried to rationalize away his disbelief by saying his parents would never have enough money to buy all the things underneath the tree. They hate video games, they would never ever buy that stuff.

I wasn't sure how to proceed. I didn't want to lie outright, so I tried to downplay the actions of the other boy. That wasn't working, he wanted a straight yes or no answer. I called my best friend on the cell and said, " you have to pull up the Virginia letter tonight."
She knew right away what I was talking about. "No! Why, who said something?"

It seems silly, but it is devastating to face this with a child. I want him to believe for ever and ever that there is something as good and exciting as Santa.
Ugh!!

So his brother, the first grader chimed in. "I totally believe in Santa. I wish I were an elf so I could see how they make all those toys." Complete faith

The two year old, "I want candy from Santa." Ok, I'll even take that!

No Santa Claus! Thank God! he lives, and lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay, ten times ten thousand years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home